Thursday, February 23, 2012

Worrying

Three weeks from today I am visiting my doctor to learn the findings of my next CT scans (Which will be taken on Tuesday, March 13th). The scans I had a few weeks ago revealed that I either have a lung infection, or the cancer has spread to one of my lungs. Now I am a person who always tries to be positive and optimistic; but I must confess, the way I have been feeling lately has had me worrying. I haven’t had any of the symptoms of a lung infection. No coughing, wheezing, fever, or congestion. I have had a couple of the symptoms of lung cancer though. I always feel tired and low on energy, and I have started feeling light headed again. The optimistic side of me tries to explain these things away; but such optimism seems unrealistic since I have been eating a very healthy diet, and have been getting a pretty good amount of sleep. And so I worry….

Then it hits me – Even if I do have lung cancer, that is no reason to worry. For one, If I have lung cancer, then it is part of God’s plans. And if me having to endure more cancer means I become a stronger person, or I encourage someone, or I can share my faith with someone; then it is all worth it. And besides that, worrying won’t change my diagnosis. If anything, I believe that worrying and stressing has negative effects on our health. God says he will watch over me, and that should be enough. When I worry, I am showing a lack of faith in that promise. After instructing the disciples not to worry, Jesus tells them to store up their treasures in heaven and not on earth. When we truly do this, it becomes seemingly impossible to worry. Because I am a Christian, I don’t need to worry about what happens after I die. And if I don’t put all of my hope in this life, then it is hard to worry when I face hardships. Lately I have been worrying about my health and my future. I shouldn’t be. I should remember that all we can do is to try our hardest to become the best that we can be. God will do the rest.

====================================


“…For this reason I say to you, do not worry about your life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds! And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span?”
- Luke 12:22-25



No comments:

Post a Comment